Labor Education and Service Network (LESN) is an independent NGO established in Hong Kong since October 2001. Its members are experienced social workers, women worker organizers and labor researchers in Hong Kong.
LESN ’ s major works are in Mainland China. We are dedicated to migrant workers’ awareness raising. Cultivating solidarity among workers and improving labor rights in the long run.
To enhance workers’ knowledge, awareness and capacity in defending labor rights and occupational health and safety issues.
To assist workers defending their rights through legal consultation and legal aid.
To cultivate co-operation and solidarity among workers through participatory activities.
To help rural job seekers understand their rights and possible support networks before they migrate to the cities.
CSR Activities in China
CSR activities include:
- Setting up labor service centers in Pearl River Delta with local partners to provide a variety of service: mini-libraries, recreational activities, as well as visiting injured workers. By establishing workers’ volunteer groups, the centers cultivate co-operation and solidarity among workers through.
- Providing legal consultation and legal aid, assisting workers to defend their rights and hence discourage employers from violating the law.
- Providing labor education to workers (mainly migrant workers) in factories and in the community to increase their knowledge on labor law. Enhancing their awareness as well as capacity to defend their legal rights.
- Providing training to rural job seekers before they migrate to cities so that they can understand labor’s legal rights, job-seeking channels and self-protection in cities.
- Organizing conferences with academic institutions, lawyers' associations and other groups to exchange experience and advocate for labor’s legal protection.
- Providing internship programs for law and social work students in order to nurture their concern in labor issues.
- Establishing network, exchanging experience and working together with organizations and individuals for the improvement of labor's right.